COVID-19 Freight Market Update
March 25, 2020
We hope all our customers, vendors and overseas partners are safe and healthy during these uncertain times. We at M.E. Dey will continue to keep you informed on this fluid situation and report on the impact of COVID-19 on logistics and supply chain matters.
M.E. Dey is still fully operational and able to handle all your import, export and transportation services. While Wisconsin, California and Illinois have issued shelter and stay policies for non-essential businesses, as a logistics provider we are consider essential for the continuance of key supply chain functions. However, for the safety of our staff and to support exercise social responsibility we have the majority of our staff working remotely. Our Chicago and Long Beach offices are operating 100% from the safety of their homes while our head office in Milwaukee maintains a skeleton staff on site to handle original documents and courier deliveries and other necessary Customs and Logistics functions. You can reach our staff by calling their regular M.E. Dey phone numbers where calls with forward to them offsite. We ask for your patience for any delays in call processing. For a list of direct dial numbers and extensions please see our full contact list here.
For updates on your cargo status, our WebTracker is fully functioning and will provide real time information on your shipments. If you are not currently enrolled in getting electronic updates on your shipments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call us so we can enroll you in this free service.
If you send us original documents or checks by courier or mail – until further notice, please send all document deliveries to our Head Office at 700 W. Virginia Street #300 Milwaukee, WI 53204.
General Supply Chain updates:
- All United States airports and ocean ports are currently functioning. Some air and ocean ports have reduced staff on site but will continue to operate for cargo purposes.
- United States Northern and Southern borders have closed non-essential travel.
- United States Northern and Southern borders are not expecting to decrease personnel and should not realize any additions screenings or slowdowns.
- For more information about Northern and Southern borders click here.
- There are many countries with restrictions on travel; this however does not impact cargo for most countries. Noted exception is India, which currently stopped all cargo from moving in or out of the country.
- There are a very small amount of passenger flights operating to or from China and Europe, this as expected has had a direct impact on the amount of availability for airfreight. Likewise, we have seen air cargo rates rise and it is predicted that they will continue to do so. Airlines have added an emergency peak season surcharge as a result of the impact of COVID-19
- Cargo is moving to/from most foreign locations
- Volumes from China are ramping back up
- Truckers have capacity and are able to deliver carg
- We can provide short term storage if required
M.E. Dey is closely monitoring the situation and will continue to keep you updated.
Please contact us if you have any questions regarding your freight at email@example.com